During this time of need owing to the spread of COVID-19, we encourage you to support our community by:
- SEW CLOTH MASKS: With the CDC guidelines suggesting that everyone wear cloth (not medical grade) masks in public, several organizations have expressed a need for cloth masks for their volunteers and the folks they serve. There are many patterns available online – click here for an example. Use only 100% cotton “woven” fabrics, not knits. If you can see through the fabric with two layers it’s not woven close enough. Please drop off your masks to Pastor Sarah’s house. You can email her at email@example.com or check your church directory for the address. Thank you!
- PROVIDE DESSERT for the weekly “Grace and Greens” meal (now to-go) at Okra Abbey (corner of Hickory and Eagle Streets). Every Wednesday, drop off dessert for 50 people (cookies, brownies, banana bread, etc.) between 11:30 AM and noon. Staff can take the dessert from your car.
- HARVEST VEGETABLES AND HERBS on Tuesdays and Thursdays for Okra Abbey. From 11am until noon, come help out with harvesting the fresh produce that will go out to neighbors in need. Children are welcome with their parents. The abbey is a pretty large space, but please continue to practice social distancing.
- DONATE DIAPERS AND FOOD or DRIVE DELIVERIES for the Broadmoor Improvement Association/Kinship Senior Center. For details, click here.
- DONATE CASES OF BOTTLED WATER to Unity of Greater New Orleans. In order to fill the gap left by homeless outreach organizations that have closed, Unity GNO is collecting donations and is in particular need of bottled water. To contribute, drop off a case of bottled water to Pastor Sarah’s front porch. (Her address is in the directory or you can email her). Pastor Sarah will be making weekly deliveries to Unity.
- DELIVER MEALS for Hands on New Orleans’ “Serve Our Seniors” program. For details, click here.
- CONDUCT WELLNESS CHECKS via phone through Hands on New Orleans’ “Phone a Friend” program. For details, click here.
- ASSEMBLE PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT including masks and isolation gowns at East Jefferson General Hospital. All you need to know is how to follow a pattern. For more information, contact Beth Lacoste at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DONATE COTTON FABRICS, including bolts and rolls, to RicRack at St. James Major Church, 3736 Gentilly Blvd, Mon., Wed., Fri., 10 AM – Noon. For more info, email Masks478costumes@gmail.com.
- DONATE BLOOD to the Ochsner Blood Bank at 1514 Jefferson Highway. Hours:
- Mon-Thurs, 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Fri, 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
- Sat, 7 AM – 3 PM
- DONATE FOOD: Drop off donations of fresh produce and non-perishable food as well as cleaning/sanitation supplies to Second Harvest Food Bank, Monday-Friday, 7:30 AM-5:00 PM at 700 Edwards Avenue in Elmwood. For details: www.no-hunger.org
- BOX UP DONATIONS OR MAKE DRIVING DELIVERIES in order
If you know of other volunteer opportunities, please email Hallie Boh at email@example.com.