Global Ministries celebrates 100 Years
St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church will celebrate 100 years of supporting ministries and missionaries around the world in September 2017 and will publish a booklet documenting these missions. Researched and written by church members Henrietta Harris and John Geiser, the booklet features a timeline of the past 100 years, more than 50 photos of past and present mission co-workers, a suggested reading list about missions and more.
On Sept. 27, 2017, the Wednesday Night Out program will feature a Brazilian menu (in honor of our first foreign mission) as well as speakers and a video presentation. The September celebration includes a month-long exhibit from the Presbyterian Historical Society featuring photos and documents of mission activities in countries where SCAPC has supported missionaries or mission projects.
Mission Photo Gallery
History of SCAPC’s World Missions
SCAPC began as a Sunday school mission of First Presbyterian Church (FPC) in 1905. The following year, the Sunday school moved to a residence at the corner of St. Charles Avenue and State Street, which had been purchased by First Presbyterian Church. In 1917, the Branch Church called its first full-time pastor, John Samuel Land, and he served as pastor until 1959. While still a mission of FPC in 1917, church members asked Rev. Land to support a missionary. He suggested a college mate, Rev. Augustus Davis and wife Mary Elizabeth, missionaries in Brazil, launching our work in global missions.
The congregation began supporting missionaries in China and Korea in 1918. Mexico was added in 1929, and through the past 100 years, SCAPC has supported mission projects and more than 50 mission co-workers in over 20 countries, including: Argentina, Armenia, Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Congo/Zaire, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Ghana, Guatemala, Kenya, Korea, Lesotho, Malawi, Mexico, Netherlands, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Somalia, Sudan, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine, and Vietnam.