Director of Youth and Young Adults (DYYA)
OVERVIEW: St Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church (SCAPC) seeks committed, capable and fun applicants for its Director of Youth and Young Adult, a full-time position responsible for leading our programs for middle school, high school and young adults. We are searching for a candidate who feels strongly called by God to nurture the faith of our youth and can demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills while also possessing a creative and fun side.
SCAPC is a large, vibrant church located in beautiful Uptown New Orleans. The church is blessed by a generous congregation and a strong youth program. The youth program is also able to attract significant numbers from families that do not attend SCAPC.
SCAPC is a fellowship of approximately 1150 believers, called by God’s grace to be a community of faith in Jesus Christ, supporting one another in love, and trusting in the transformative power of the Holy Spirit to enable us to bring hope and healing to a broken world.
SCAPC is home to one of the largest youth programs in Uptown New Orleans. Over the last 8 years the program has experienced significant growth and the church is excited to see it sustain this trajectory.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all aspects of Youth and Young Adult Ministries including supervising and coordinating with the Youth and Young Adults Coordinator and the Youth Leadership Team.
- Oversee Youth and Young Adult Ministries annual budget.
- Develop, plan, and find curriculum for all youth ministry related programs including, Sunday School, Sunday Night Youth Group, Confirmation, Youth Sunday, Fall Retreat, and small groups.
- Develop and lead yearly retreats and mission trips that will help youth grow in their faith. Usually includes a Fall Retreat, Confirmation Mission Trip, Middle School Summer Retreat, Senior High Mission Trip, and Senior High Trip to Montreat Youth Conference.
- Build strong and healthy relationships with the adolescent members of the church and surrounding community in ways that will promote spiritual growth. This includes being an adult friend, a cheerleader, a listening ear, an encourager, a counselor, and occasionally, someone who is willing to refer students and families to seek professional help when needed.
- Recruit and train volunteer leaders to help lead all programming activities, as well as, build appropriate relationships with students.
- Coordinate and oversee the Youth and Young Adult Leadership teams as they plan future ministry opportunities.
- Coordinate with the Global Ministry committee as they plan intergenerational mission opportunities.
- Keep up to date and accurate records of students and their families in coordination with Membership Coordinator.
- Serve on the Youth Committee for the Presbytery of South Louisiana
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor/Head of Staff.
HOURS AND COMPENSATION: Approximately 40 hours per week. This job requires both Sunday work and occasional evening work. The DYYA is paid a competitive salary, commensurate with the candidate’s experience, education and other qualifications. The position comes with a competitive benefits package including medical insurance support, paid vacation etc. Start date negotiable.
- Candidates must be followers of Jesus Christ and familiar and comfortable with a reformed faith tradition.
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable area is preferred.
- 5 years of experience in youth ministry is preferred.
- Ability to recruit and train volunteers is required
- Strong communication skills required in order to effectively communicate not only with the youth and their families but also with church staff, church members and volunteers.
- Experience or familiarity with youth crisis situations is preferred.
- Applicants must consent to a standard background check.
To learn more about St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church, visit www.scapc.org.
For more information or to apply, contact search committee chair Dawn Talbot at firstname.lastname@example.org.