Looking for that perfect Christmas gift for the person who has everything? Give the Gift of Hope this Christmas Season.
The popular RHINO Ministry Christmas cards are currently on sale. This year's Faces of Hope card is the perfect gift to give in honor or in memory or to say thank you to special friends and family members. As always, when you buy the cards we'll be happy to address, stamp, and get these in the mail for you. Each card can be purchased for a $10 donation.
If you would like get an order form or if you have questions, please contact Ruth Hinson, RHINO Ministry chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can respond to this blog post as well to get more information.
All proceeds help SCAPC further our vision of Rebuilding Hope in New Orleans through both the RHINO and Camp RHINO mission ministries.
Going in to this week, Thanksgiving week, it is time to stop and think about all the things we are thankful for. I have attached below an excerpt from Tinybuddha.com about 60 things to be grateful for in our lives. Many of them are things that you do not often think about being grateful for, but as you read through this list imagine your life if a few of these things were missing.......
Here are 60 things to be grateful for in our lives:
1. Your parents - For giving birth to you. Because if there is no them, there will not be you.
2. Your family – For being your closest kin in the world
3. Your friends – For being your companions in life
4. Sense of sight – For letting you see the colors of life
5. Sense of hearing - For letting you hear trickle of rain, the voices of your loved ones, and the harmonious chords of music
6. Sense of touch - For letting you feel the texture of your clothes, the breeze of the wind, the hands of your loved ones
7. Sense of smell – For letting you smell scented candles, perfumes, and beautiful flowers in your garden
8. Sense of taste – For letting you savor the sweetness of fruits, the saltiness of seawater, the sourness of pickles, the bitterness of bitter gourd, and the spiciness of chili
9. Your speech – For giving you the outlet to express yourself
10. Your heart – For pumping blood to all the parts of your body every second since you were born; for giving you the ability to feel
11. Your lungs – For letting you breathe so you can live
12. Your immune system – For fighting viruses that enter your body. For keeping you in the pink of your health so you can do the things you love.
13. Your hands – So you can type on your computer, flip the pages of books, and hold the hands of your loved ones
14. Your legs - For letting you walk, run, swim, play the sports you love, and curl up in the comfort of your seat
15. Your mind - For the ability to think, to store memories, and to create new solutions
16. Your good health – For enabling you to do what you want to do and for what you’re about to do in the future
17. Your school - For providing a environment conducive to learning and growing
18. Your teachers – For their dedication and for passing down knowledge to you
19. Tears – For helping you express your deepest emotions
20. Disappointment - So you know the things that matter to you most
21. Fears – So you know your opportunities for growth
22. Pain – For you to become a stronger person
23. Sadness – For you to appreciate the spectrum of human emotions
24. Happiness – For you to soak in the beauty of life
25. The Sun - For bringing in light and beauty to this world
26. Sunset – For a beautiful sight to end the day
27. Moon and Stars - For brightening up our night sky
28. Sunrise - For a beautiful sight to start the morning
29. Rain – For cooling you when it gets too warm and for making it comfy to sleep in on weekends
30. Snow – For making winter even more beautiful
31. Rainbows – For a beautiful sight to look forward to after rain
32. Oxygen - For making life possible
33. The earth – For creating the environment for life to begin
34. Mother nature - For covering our world in beauty
35. Animals – For adding to the diversity of life
36. Internet - For connecting you and me despite the physical space between us
37. Transport - For making it easier to commute from one place to another
38. Mobile phones – For making it easy to stay in touch with others
39. Computers – For making our lives more effective and efficient
40. Technology – For making impossible things possible
41. Movies – For providing a source of entertainment
42. Books – For adding wisdom into your life
43. Blogs – For connecting you with other like-minded people
44. Shoes – For protecting your feet when you are out
45. Time – For a system to organize yourself and keep track of activities
46. Your job – For giving you a source of living and for being a medium where you can add value to the world
47. Music - For lifting your spirits when you’re down and for filling your life with more love
48. Your bed - For you to sleep comfortably in every night
49. Your home - For a place you can call home
50. Your soul mate – For being the one who understands everything you’re going through
51. Your best friends – For being there for you whenever you need them
52. Your enemies – For helping you uncover your blind spots so you can become a better person
53. Kind strangers – For brightening up your days when you least expect it
54. Your mistakes - For helping you to improve and become better
55. Heartbreaks - For helping you mature and become a better person
56. Laughter - For serenading your life with joy
57. Love - For letting you feel what it means to truly be alive
58. Life’s challenges - For helping you grow and become who you are
59. Life - For giving you the chance to experience all that you’re experiencing, and will be experiencing in time to come
And last but not least… #60: You.
And # 61 RHINOs!!!
Happy Holidays everyone. May they all be warm, full of turkey and in the company of great friends, family and loved ones.
Morningside PC work site pictures
We had a great group in mid way through this last week. This group from Morningside Presbyterian Church from Atlanta has been down here many many times before and will hopefully be back again to serve with RHINO this spring!
This week they got busy on Majestic Oaks Dr. in New Orleans east working on installing siding and putting final touches on the roof as well. Though this group was here for a short week they sure did make a huge impact. This week this group also worked with RHINO and were super flexible as we had a couple of different things going on. One of our volunteers Rhonda celebrated her birthday on Friday and board member Leon Hinson was able to bring out sandwiches from Mobile Loaves and Fishes and also a birthday cake for lunch!!
Saturday evening we had some different sleeping arrangements going on and the Baker family stepped in and saved the day by allowing RHINOs to stay with them. So we want to say a huge THANK YOU to the Bakers for their hospitality.
Sunday morning our RHINOs joined us in 8:30 AM service for Youth Sunday and then got on the road to head home. What a great week!!!!
This past week we had the chance to have two GREAT groups down to volunteer with RHINO. Our two groups were from Ridglea Presbyterian Church from Fort Worth TX and Westfield Presbyterian Church from Westfield NJ. These were two great groups who came in on Monday and started with Habitat for Humanity on Tuesday at one of our houses on Majestic Oaks in New Orleans east.
We sent one of the fearless leaders up on the roof to get all harnessed up with our site supervisor Nolan and to finish prepping the roof shingles in the following week. The rest of us were left to our own devices installing strapping in the house. All new constructions in NOLA have to have what seemed like 1000 straps nailed into all of the studs and braces of the frame to hurricane proof them. Let me just say these nails were not most of our friends. There were probably the same amount of nails dropped from the ladders as ended up in the strapping installed.
Needless to say this house will not be going anywhere if there is another hurricane coming to the city.
Until next week!